The Makeup and Beauty

Tear Trough Fillers Explained: What You Need to Know

Image default
Beauty Body Health Skin

The eyes are the most prominent part of the face, and they have a huge impact on how old we look. As the skin around the eyes ages and loses volume, it becomes lax and starts to drop. This can expose the tear troughs and result in tired-looking eyes.

Tear trough fillers restore lost volume so that the skin underneath the eyes appears smoother and more youthful.

But like any cosmetic procedure, this treatment has pros and cons. It’s important to understand what dermal fillers can do and the potential side effects before considering the procedure.

What Is a Tear Trough Filler?

Tear trough fillers, also known as dermal fillers under eyes, are an injectable cosmetic procedure. The treatment goal is to restore volume to the under-eye area.

This is achieved through injections of hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring gel-like substance that attracts water molecules. It plays a vital role in the body and the skin.

When the hyaluronic acid is injected, it restores volume and fullness to the area, making the skin appear smoother.

What Happens During the Procedure?

Before the tear trough filler procedure, you’ll need to attend an initial consultation with a trained practitioner. They will examine your tear troughs and skin quality to see if you are a good candidate for treatment.

On the day of the procedure, the area will be cleansed before a topical anesthetic is applied to minimize any discomfort. Then, your practitioner will prepare the dermal filler injections.

In most cases, a blunt cannula is used to apply the dermal filler product. First, the filler is injected into strategic areas beneath the eyes to restore the lost volume. Next, the practitioner will massage the area to ensure the filler is spread evenly.

Once both eyes have been treated, you’re free to return to most work and social activities. You’ll be provided with aftercare instructions to ensure optimal treatment outcomes.

Who’s a Good Candidate for Tear Trough Filler?

Tear trough fillers effectively soften the area under the eyes, making the face look more awake and youthful. A good candidate for this procedure is in good overall health, has realistic expectations, and has healthy skin.

If the skin is too thin, there is a risk of the Tyndall Effect. This is when the filler product becomes visible underneath the skin, producing a blue tone on the skin’s surface.

To find out if you are a good candidate for under-eye fillers, you should book a consultation with an experienced practitioner.

What Is the Recovery Time?

You can go home or back to work as soon as the procedure is complete. However, it’s common to experience mild redness and swelling around the injection sites for the first 48-72 hours post-treatment.

The treatment results are noticeable immediately, but it can take 10-14 days for the filler product to settle and the full results to become visible.

In a 2020 study, 100% of patients noticed an overall improvement at four weeks post-treatment, with 75% satisfied with their results. The remaining 25% required a top-up of additional filler to achieve their desired results.

Your practitioner will give you post-procedure aftercare instructions and advice on how to massage the area to prevent any lumps of filler from forming.

How Long Do Tear Trough Fillers Last?

The results from tear trough fillers typically last for 6-18 months, depending on your metabolism, the type of filler used, and other factors. Over time, the filler product will be absorbed by the body, and the tear troughs will return to their pre-treatment appearance.

Many people schedule top-up treatments every 6-9 months to maintain their results.

Do Tear Trough Fillers Hurt?

Tear trough fillers are not painful. A topical anesthetic is applied before the injections to minimize any discomfort, and the filler product usually contains an additional anesthetic. You may experience some pressure during the injections but no pain.

Are Tear Trough Fillers Safe?

Yes. Tear trough fillers have an excellent safety record when administered by a qualified and experienced practitioner. There is little to no downtime and none of the painful side effects associated with more invasive surgical treatments.

You’ll need to attend an initial consultation before your treatment. This is to ensure you are a good candidate for tear trough fillers and to make sure that the procedure will provide the results you want to achieve.

Users also Read

Leave a Comment