Neck and shoulder pain is one of the most frequent muscular complaints in the population. It manifests as a feeling of tension that can significantly reduce the ability to move.
The problem is that the modern lifestyle forces us to subject the body to constant physical effort that compromises this area. In addition, other factors such as stress, strenuous exercise, or trauma can lead to these ailments.
Usually, to reduce this problem, anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or paracetamol are taken. Still, there are those who seek other ways to calm it, since drugs are not always enough.
What Are The Causes Of Neck And Shoulder Pain?
First of all, it is worth doing a brief review on the causes of neck and shoulder pain. This is important, as this is where the type of treatment is derived. In most cases, the tension is the result of constant effort in the area.
- Habits such as excessive use of the mobile or computer can be triggers for this pain. By tilting the head downward, the neck muscles and cervical vertebrae end up holding the weight of the head, resulting in tension.
- Strenuous exercise or trauma from accidents are another cause. In the latter case, medical attention is essential for proper treatment.
- Some diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis or cancer, have this ailment among their clinical manifestations. It is necessary to follow the medical indications to make it bearable.
Tips To Soothe Neck And Shoulder Pain
Treatment of neck and shoulder pain varies depending on its cause. If it is punctual pain, caused by poor posture or sudden movement, painkillers and some basic care can help. However, if it is a trauma or illness, it will be the doctor who determines the treatment plan. What can we do?
Posture is one of the most main factors in the development of this discomfort. Therefore, we must pay special attention to it; not only at work but also in everyday habits such as using mobile devices.
Ideally, stand with your head upright. Standing for a long time with the head tilted down makes this area bear all the tension. Therefore, it is also advisable to take breaks to mobilize the neck and relax the muscles.
Mobilize The Area
To promote relief of neck and shoulder pain, it is essential to mobilize the area . It is not about straining the muscles, but about holding postures for 15 to 20 seconds to reduce the tension in the muscles.
- First, it is recommended to tilt your head to one side and then to the other.
- Another important movement is rotation, both of the head and the shoulders.
- It is also good to stretch your arms behind your head and press your elbow down.
Going to the physiotherapist should be one of the main actions when neck and shoulder pain persists over time. This professional can guide us on how to do the stretches and what postures we should correct.
In addition, massages, electrical stimulation techniques, or the application of heat, helps to improve discomfort. In some cases, traction with weights and pulleys is used to stretch the neck. The neck can even be immobilized for short periods to reduce pressure.
What Should We Remember About Neck And Shoulder Pain?
Neck and shoulder pain can afflict us all at some point, be it due to bad posture, stress, trauma, too much physical effort, among other factors. Without proper care, it becomes disabling, as it lasts over time.
Initially, correct posture and do exercises stretching may be sufficient to promote their relief. However, if the pain persists, it is necessary to consult a professional. When its origin is more serious causes, such as diseases, it is necessary to receive individualized treatment.
Also Read: BEST NATURAL INGREDIENTS TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN, HAIR AND NAILS